Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Summer fill-ins





Currently reading: The Hunger Games (well just finished all three and must say they are the best books I have ever read- can't wait for the first movie in March!)

Currently listening to: Matt Kearny's album - check up on it

Currently digging: Pintrest recipies

here are a couple I have already tried and love:

Spinach and Feta Quesadillas

Mozzarella, Tomato, and Avacado salad


Looking forward to:

Fox's new show, NEW GIRL


ahh, what to blog about when you have neglected to blog all summer...


Perhaps an overview of the past few months, the painless and concise version of course.


A return home from Australia came with minor doses of reverse culture shock and a communicable diseases.


I felt strange being able to drive a car wherever I wanted and driving on the other side of the road at that; Somewhere decided what a waste bottled water was; Started making my bed (thanks mama Marina); Realized how fortunate I am to have a dryer; and started missing some amazing people in the land of Oz (and 20 beauties from the states).


I began working at Allisonville Meadows in July. There, I was helping create and lead activities for dementia residents in the nursing home. After a couple of weeks, the Mono hit. Eight needle stabs and two yellow eyes later, I was diagnosed with Jaundice and had to stay home for several weeks. This was not a pleasant experience, but I was so very thankful to have a wonderful Great Aunt Sue and mother dearest to take care of me.


I spent the weeknights in Westfield with Aunt Sue and weekends in Marion. In the course of the summer all three of us in Aunt Sue's house were in some sort of indisposition. I got the mono, Blue (the dog) nearly lost his life in a high speed rabbit chase across the highway, and Aunt Sue seemed to develop some sort of leprosy. Thankfully, we all survived and only Blue still saunters in a state of disarray with metal rods in his hips and a slight drunken walk. I must say I went out of Aunt Sue's house with a bang....literally. After barely missing my car in the driveway all summer, Aunt Sue finally plowed into it last night. We had a good laugh and sat in lawn chairs while waiting for the police to arrive at 11 PM for an accident report. I won't be parking in the driveway anymore when I visit...


Today was my last day at Allisonville and I must say it was tough leaving those oldies that I have grown so fond of. Working with dementia patients can get quite stressful and often disheartening, but I found myself among some of the sweetest people who make God's love radiate in the darkness of a discouraging illness. Being able to help them remember the good times of their lives makes living mine at this age feel like an immense blessing that I know I do not deserve.


And it is indeed a blessing....I am headed to Anna Maria Island with some of my favorite women this weekend and tonight a little end of the summer celebration with friends at The Jazz Kitchen in Indy.



I hope to be back writing more regularly!

Thanks for reading friends,

Hannah


ps: after a 10 year battle, I stopped biting my nails.... incase you wanted to know

No comments:

Post a Comment